Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Giving up some control

Since starting to work I have been tired exhausted!  It's been a big change.
I feel like the house is getting more and more messy as the days go on.
I'm not a super neat freak or anything, but most people know I like to
keep the house tidy and clutter free.  I've realized I'm too tired to do it.

The kids have daily chores to do, but I decided to add some extra ones
that have been getting neglected.  I also told the boys for the first time
ever I would give them an allowance (I'm desperate).

I told them on Wednesday & Saturday I wanted them
to do their extra chores from now on.  These include the following:
1. Backyard clean-up  which includes dog poop, toys, any trash
 (I have kids) and sweeping the back patio.
2. Trash duty which includes collecting all trash and taking it out. 
Washing all the trash cans out and putting new bags in them, then
returning them to their places.
3.  Cleaning the downstairs bathroom and the kids bathroom from
top to bottom (even mopping). They were (and still are) excited to get
started.  I explained everything to them in detail. I realized I had to follow
them around  and make sure everything was getting done the way it should
 be. It seemed like  it was way more work and took so long to get it all done.
They were happy about  it though which was good. I decided to let them go
on their own for awhile and soon  heard screams and fighting. One scratched
the other with the toliet brush, then the other  squirted him in the eyes with windex.

I'm happy to report they are fine and the jobs got done and they did a pretty good
job.  I hope it will get easier as time goes on.  I need to give up a little control and
let them help more.