Sunday, March 4, 2012

Yum!

Last month a friend gave me some homemade peanut butter frosting, she was going out of town, and knew I could put it to good use.  As it turned out, the next day was pinewood derby, and I was in charge of dessert.  I had already planned on making Brownies for a Crowd, so I decided to use this peanut butter frosting on one of the pans, while the other one I stuck with the chocolate frosting in the recipe.


Everyone raved about the browines with the peanut butter frosting.  Lots of people asked for the recipe, so I'm finally getting around to sharing it.

Brownies for a Crowd (cookie sheet size)
submitted by Melanie
3 cups sugar
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp cocoa (I prefer Dutch-it is darker)
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups melted butter
5 eggs
2 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
Mix together and spread on a buttered cookie sheet (standard stainless steel). Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 30 minutes. Be sure to not overcook. Frost
Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
3 1/2 tsp cocoa
6 TBsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
Powdered Sugar–I have never measured. I just add until I get the consistency I want. If it becomes too thick I just add a little more milk.
Boil together, remove from heat and add powdered sugar. You can add nuts into the frosting or sprinkle on top if you would like.
*Now for the peanut butter frosting recipe used in place of the above chocolate frosting.

Chubby Hubby Peanut Butter Frosting
For the frosting:
3 sticks (1½ cups) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup creamy peanut butter
4½ cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
Pinch of coarse salt
2 tsp. vanilla extract

3 tbsp. heavy cream
 

To make the frosting, combine the butter and peanut butter in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium-high speed until smooth. Mix in the confectioners’ sugar and salt. With the mixer on low speed, mix in the vanilla and cream just until incorporated. Increase the mixer speed to medium-high and whip until light and very fluffy, about 4 minutes.