Friday, March 28, 2014

Chalk paint fail?! And stong boys!


Our piano has been sitting in the garage since before we put our new floors in.  I had been wanting to paint it and bring it back in for a long time.  I missed hearing the piano playing in the house.

I saw some chalk paint re-do's a friend of mine did, and I got interested.  She told me all about it and directed me to the blog where she got her homemade recipe.

I figured the piano would be prefect to try it on because it looked bad anyways.  We had started stripping it a few years ago, and never finished.

Well, I bought all the stuff I needed and got started one Saturday.  Griffin even helped me.  I must say it was going very well.  I fell in love with the chalk paint.  I love how it coated the piano so evenly.  It looked great and so smooth after two coats.



 
The next day it was time to wax.  This is where I ran into trouble. I think I used too much wax.  I couldn't get it all off.  Parts looked shiny, other part dull.  I spent a long time trying to fix it. 
No matter what I did I just couldn't get it to look good all over.  It was a bummer.
 
 
 
I left it alone for a week or so then asked the boys one night if they could help me bring it into the house.  They completely took over.  Trevor made a simple lever complete with a fulcrum.  It took some effort (the piano is big & heavy), but they pulled it off.  I was super impressed with their strength. 
 
 
 
Now it's sitting in the kitchen, and everyone loves playing it, but I hate the way it looks.  Spring break looks like I'll be doing another piano project. Patrick loved the way the chalk paint looked too.  We may do it again, but instead of the wax just spray it with a high gloss clear finish instead.